How pregnant should I be for my maternity session?
In my opinion, maternity sessions are best once your belly is really round; most women do the session at the beginning of their last trimester.  I have done a few sessions right at the very end, but it really is best to schedule your session for when you are 7 or 8 months pregnant, in case you deliver early.

When should I schedule my maternity or newborn session?

Let’s chat today! If you’re pregnant and you know that you want a maternity or newborn portrait session (or both) you should schedule as soon as you can. If your baby is already born, feel free to inquire about my availability and I will do my best to fit you in. However, clients usually book their sessions 2- 4 months in advance, and at certain times of the year my availability fills up quickly. It’s best to do newborn photos before the baby is two weeks old because the newborn acne sets in soon after. It’s just easier to get the posed sleeping shots while they are still so tiny and new.  We will set a session date for one week past your due date, then when your little one arrives we can adjust our session date if needed.


What should we wear for my maternity session?

I treat Maternity sessions like family sessions, dress in your favorite styles. Dress so you feel beautiful and can show off that belly (don’t hide it). Accessorize and plan on getting your nails and hair done before hand so that you can relax a bit and get pampered. If you're relaxed you’ll look fabulous. Once your session is scheduled, if you have any questions about certain clothing or outfits, I would be happy to talk with you more about this.  Sometimes it can help to get ideas on pinterest, please click here to see my “Maternity, What to Wear” pinboard for stylish Maternity outfit ideas and tips.

Where will my maternity session take place?

I love using natural light and being outdoors, it’s my specialty. If you like the look of outdoor photography you and I are probably a good match. We can meet at a local park, field, your own backyard, or we can discuss my favorite locations once I get to know a little bit more about you and what fits your taste. Please feel free to peruse my maternity and family posts on my blog for some location ideas.

Should I bring anything to my maternity session?
Please pack some things you might need to freshen up: lipgloss, water, snack, mirror, comb. If a child is joining the session you should pack mess free snacks for them (such as a cheese stick) and something to occupy them while mom is in the spotlight (make sure you have another adult with you to watch the child). Props are always fun: sonogram, pink or blue balloons, babies shoes. I love it when my clients want to add in special meaningful items.

Where will the newborn session take place?
I will come to you, at your home. I will set up my equipment and newborn posing bean bag in the room in your house with the most light. Usually sunrooms or next to a sliding glass door work well. Light and warmth are the two key elements. The temperature in your house should be tank top weather or even warmer. If it’s cold out, set your thermostat to 80 before I arrive so that baby will be toasty enough to be happy in just a diaper and hat.

How long will the newborn session last?
The session takes from two to three hours—I allow plenty of time for nursing, snuggling, and calming. We’ll start out with getting the shots that are most important to you, and if all goes well, then we can try for some “icing on the cake” type shots. Typically Newborn sessions are just for the baby and the mother. If the baby is under 10 days old and sleepy and content, we can usually get everything in that you are hoping for, including shots with other family members.

What should baby wear for the newborn session?
Most of my newborn portraits are done without clothing. A sweet hat and diaper cover are all you really need. I highly recommend that you purchase a cute handmade hat or two from etsy.com. I work with a local artisan who offers free shipping for my clients; you can see her shop here. I will bring along my adorable hats, crowns, and cocoons for newborns, so if you do not wish to purchase anything extra, there is no need. Keep in mind that hats from etsy.com often take 3-4 weeks to arrive once they are ordered. Make sure the size is for a brand-new baby and not 0-3 months, which will be way too big for a week-old newborn. Please also have spare blankets, pacifiers, diapers, and burp cloths on hand.

What should I wear for the newborn session?
Wear something comfortable and simple. If you aren't sure you want to be in the newborn pictures or you want to hide baby weight, I recommend wearing a long sleeve black shirt. If you are planning on being in the newborn pictures, enlist help to carve out some time to do your hair and makeup before I arrive so that we can get started right away.